Thursday, September 15, 2011

Art Bead Scene September Challenge

Every Month, the Art Bead Scene Blog has a monthly challenge that is inspired by a particular piece of art.  This month is a Gee's Bend quilt titled "Housetop".  I saw the Gee's Bend show in San Francisco a few years ago and it completely changed my attitude about quilting.

So, this is the inspiration piece:
"Housetop"--twelve-block "Half-Logcabin" variation, ca. 1965
Cotton, Wool Corduroy, 77"x 65"
Lillie Mae Pettway, 1927-1990
Gee Bend's Quilter

1. Create something using an art bead that fits within our monthly theme. We post the art to be used as your inspiration to create. This challenge is open to jewelry-makers, fiber artists, collage artist, etc. The art bead can be created by you or someone else. The challenge is to inspire those who use art beads and to see all the different ways art beads can be incorporated into your handiwork.
The challenge rules are: 
***Beads strung on a chain, by themselves and beads simply wire or cord will not be accepted.***

I started playing with a bezel, some wool fiber and felting tools too "quilt" my own mini quilt in the bezel.  I did a collage using the words House and Top on the other side.  Once that was complete, I made a little house bead out of polymer clay then combined these components with some art beads and antique beads from my stash (See, stashes are a GOOD thing!)  The end result:





It is pretty comfortable to wear - and I'm not usually a big bracelet wearer!  The Green Lentil bead is my Elaine Ray and the little blown glass beads surrounding the house are by tanyamcguire.  


This is the first time I've put any of  my work out there in this way and it's a little nerve wracking, but why not?  
There's nothing to lose and I got a great bracelet out of it. :)


Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Saw the show in NYC. Love the inspired work, L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job, too! Love that house, and fiber no less. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete