Saturday, September 1, 2012

Challenge of Travel Blog Hop




It seems the only way I can get myself to actually PHOTOGRAPH and POST pics of my work is to participate in a blog hop.  So, when Erin of Tesori Trovati Jewelry  posted on her blog, Treasures Found - Inspiration is Everywhere about the upcoming Challenge of Travel Blog Hop, I signed myself up.  We got to choose our region and country.  I immediately choose Japan.

Now, those of you that know my style or have seen my house don't think of traditional Japan.  But, I wasn't thinking of traditional Japanese style.  I went right to contemporary Japanese Pop Culture.

I visited Tokyo for 10 days in 2005.  While we visited some historical sites, the most memorable parts of our trip were focused on pop culture and food (oh the glorious food!).  We spent days (and nights) at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Seas, The Ghibli Museum, shopping in Shibuya and Shinjuku, spotting Harajuku girls, seeing underground pop bands, shopping at places like Tokyu Hands, the Kitchen District and the amazing and wondrous department stores.  Oh, and the vending machines!  I put many a coin in those vending machines.
(Photo from 8Tokyo.com)

No one, no where, does pop culture like the Japanese.....and I adore it all.  The odd thing about my love of Japanese Pop Culture is that I am pretty much CLUELESS about American Pop Culture.  But, I find all things "Kawaii" (ie" Super Cute in Japanese) to be amazing.  The bold (and extravagant) use of color and pattern is way out of my comfort zone (and I'm not shy) and minimalism is an unknown commodity.   Harajuku Cosplay has gotten quite popular in the US recently and it is amazing and inspiring to see in person.  There's a whole Flickr Group devoted to Harajuku fashion.




So, that's where I started - with Japanese Pop Culture and a bunch of stuff from my stash.    Luckily, i have a ton of vintage lucite, lots of plastic, some toys from Japan and lots of other beads to work with from my ever-growing vintage (ie: hoarder) collection.  It didn't start out to be as easy as I thought it would be, however.  I've been working mostly with art beads, fibers, leather and other more "earthy" elements lately. Apparently, I've toned down my style!  I made, tore apart, re-made, tore apart my first piece several times - and it is still my least favorite piece of the trio I ended up with.  But then, I got my groove back and I went a little nuts.  So, yes, there are 3 pieces here (and I really could have made more).  Oh, and I'm still futzing with photography.  And by futzing, I mean cussing.

Here's my first (and more sedate) piece.  The colors are so not me.  I must have been channeling Martha Stewart here.  But, the vintage lucite, the plastic flowers, the My Elements rubber rings and the sweet blue owls are lots of fun.




Then I went nuts.  Plastic dinosaurs from earrings I used to wear in 1984, more plastic flowers, a string devil doll, a Gloomy Bear from a Japanese vending machine capsule, more vintage lucite, random glass flowers, more My Elements stash, and - oh look - a couple of Elaine Ray art beads.


My last piece was more gothic inspired with a Disney twist.  I seem to have quite a collection of Little Green Men (from Toy Story).  I got most of these in Japan and, while I haven't been wearing them lately, I seem to never trow anything out.  So, these guys got mixed with vintage American vending machine baubles, more vintage lucite, My Elements plastics and rubber and some (almost eatable) vintage glass beads.




I'm just crazy enough that I will wear 2 our of 3 of these.  Martha Stewart can have the pastel bracelet. ;)


There are 59!!! bloggers on this blog hop.  It may take be a few days but I will visit each and ever one of these sites.  Enjoy your own journey!

Lisa

Name
Blog
Region Chosen
Inspiration Nation
Monique Urquhart
Africa
Burkina Faso
Niky Sayers
Africa
Egypt
Therese Frank
Africa
Kenya
Raychelle Heath
Africa
Lesotho
Joan Williams
Africa
Mauritania
Sherri Stokey
Africa
Senegal
Regina Santerre
Africa
Seychelles
Raida Disbrow
Africa
Tanzania
Kristi Wodek
Africa
Zimbabwe
Sally Russick
Americas
Brazil
Melissa Trudinger
Americas
Mexico
Tracy Stillman
Americas
USA
Sandra Wolberg
Asia
India
Tanya Goodwin
Asia
Japan
Susan Kennedy
Asia
Japan
Beth Emery
Asia
Japan
Lisa Cone
Asia
Japan < Here U R!
Tanya Boden
Asia
Japan
Inge von Roos
Asia
Laos
Erin Prais-Hintz
Asia
Nepal
Dee Elgie
Asia
Phillipines
Carolyn Lawson
Asia
South Korea
Lisa Stukel
Asia
Sri Lanka
Elly Snare
Asia
Thailand
Shelley Graham Turner
Europe
Austria
Mallory Hoffman
Europe
Bosnia Herzegovina
Paige Maxim
Europe
France
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Europe
Germany
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson
Europe
Greece
Evelyn Shelby
Europe
Iceland
Holly Westfall
Europe
Ireland
Rebecca Siervaag
Europe
Ireland
Toltec Jewels
Europe
Ireland
Lee Koopman
Europe
Ireland
Laren Dee Barton
Europe
Italy
Cindy Wilson
Europe
Norway
Kathleen Lange Klik
Europe
Poland
Shaiha Williams
Europe
Portugal
Jennifer Justman
Europe
Romania
Elsie Deliz-Fonseca
Europe
Spain
Lola Surwillo
Europe
Sweden
Kim Hora
Europe
Switzerland
Leanne Loftus
Europe
The Netherlands
Patti Vanderbloemen
Europe
The Netherlands
Marcie Carroll
Europe
Turkey
Marlene Cupo
Oceania
Federated States of Micronesia
Ine Vande Cappelle
Oceania
Fiji
Tammie Everly
Oceania
Guam
Alice Peterson
Oceania
Kiribati
Elisabeth Auld
Oceania
Nauru
Susan McClelland
Oceania
New Zealand
D Lynne Bowland
Oceania
New Zealand
Denielle Hagerman
Oceania
New Zeland
Rebecca Anderson
Oceania
Papua New Guinea
Mischelle Fanucchi
Oceania
Samoa
Kari Asbury
Oceania
Solomon Islands
Cece Cormier
Oceania
Tonga
Emma Todd
Oceania
Tuvalu
Debbie Price
Oceania
Vanuatu

21 comments:

  1. What a enjoyable post to read this morning! I think your bracelets are whimisical and fun and they totally reflect the pop culture that you wrote about! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun pieces you made! They made me smile! Love the colors and the upcycled use of materials. Great job. They remind me of anime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bracelets are fun! I bet they would be awesome to wear. The colors in each one just blend into each other. I love the zombie in the second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't Gwen Stefani have a Harajuku line of clothes for kids at Target? What could be more fun? Colorful, zany... And your bracelets are! Love them. I dont think the pastels one os too sedate, the colors are not pale or subdued, and I love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! A totally different view of this fascinating culture! I think they arw all great. Love the kitschiness and the bright colors. Thank you for showing me Japan through your eyes! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bracelets are so fun! I love the vibrant colors, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing insights on Japan from personal experience. I love the bright colors and your bracelets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I have Holla Back playing in my mind.. lol I love the bracelets.. Very cute..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love the bracelets! Of course, my favorites are those where you really let loose!!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful work - well balanced and the colors just pop on all the pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you to have visited this wonderful place! I never knew there was such a craze as Kawaii there. And I love how you have jumped righ in with these fun and colorful pieces!

    Thanks for sharing a side of Japan I never knew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for taking me to the Pop Cultured part of Japan in all of it's wild and wackyness. I love the bracelets that you made to deplict the pop culture of Japan. I guess I am a Martha Stewart, because I love the pink pastel one.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent pieces! I love your post - we were in Japan the same year! Didn't you LOVE it! I loved the kitchen district too! I'll have to post photos of my collection of dishes I bought!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun is what I thought when I read your post! I love all of the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is no such thing as too much colour. I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok that is some over the top colour - mission accomplished in spades. I love the palette you created for each although I probably wouldn't wear one myself since I'd be distracted by the details all day long - worn stacked? uh yeah, just begging for it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sums it up.What a land of contrasts. love your bracelets.I would so wear the pastels.Love and hugs Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohmygoodness......I adore your take on Japan and going with the pop culture was fabulous! I agree, no one does it like the Japanese for pop culture. Your bracelets are great and I feel that as you let loose they definitely embraced the true essence of the culture. How fun that you had all of those trinkets. I can't wait to share your blog with a friend who will go crazy for your bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lisa, your bracelets are CHARMing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, Lisa, I came snooping for the Challenge of Colour and decided to look around instead... I thought I had hit every blog on our Travel Challenge... not sure how I missed your entry on this one? These are such cute creations, girl! I had no idea this style was so hot in Japan. They really are a people of contrasts!

    I am now following you so I don't miss out again!

    ReplyDelete